In 2011, Medicare is providing a new benefit called the “Wellness Visit.” It is not a routine, annual complete physical exam. Medicare still does not cover a complete physical.
The Wellness Visit only includes:
- Personal and family medical history
- Height, weight and blood pressure
- Detection of any cognitive impairment
- Review of potential risk factors for depression
- Review of functional ability and level of safety
- A written screening schedule for preventive services
- Personalized health advice and a referral to services or programs to reduce health risks and promote wellness
- (Voluntary) advance care planning
We encourage you to take advantage of this extra time with your practitioner. There is no cost to you for this appointment.
The Wellness Visit does not replace a complete annual physical exam. If you would like a Wellness Visit, please tell the person who is scheduling your appointment.